Are You Eligible for Benefits?
To find out whether you or your children are eligible for Medicaid, FAMIS, Plan First or other benefits, click here for a quick online screening.
To find out whether you may be eligible for financial help for health insurance coverage, click here.
Ways to Apply
Visit CommonHelp, a self-service portal where Virginia residents can submit a single application for multiple social services assistance programs, including:
- Health Care Coverage (Medicaid or FAMIS)
- Child Care Services
- Energy Assistance (Cooling, Crisis, Fuel/Heating)
- SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Temporary Cash Assistance for Families with Minor Children (TANF)
Click here to view a Quick Reference guide to help you as you navigate the CommonHelp website and application process.
Apply By Phone
Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 (or TTY 1-888-221-1590 for hearing impaired) during regular business hours:
- Mondays through Fridays 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturdays 9 a.m. to noon
Apply By Mail
Click here to access and print the paper application. (Versión en Español )
After printing the application, fill it out completely, and then mail your completed application to the Department of Social Services office located in your city or county. Click here for a listing of the Virginia Department of Social Services’ local offices.
If you use the paper application to apply for benefits, review the information below to determine whether you also need to fill out any supplemental pages.
- Additional Person Supplement Page: If you are applying for Medicaid, FAMIS or Plan First for more than two people in your household, you will need to complete the Additional Person supplement page.
- Appendix D: ABD-LTC Application: You will need to complete Appendix D if you are applying for benefits for: someone who has disabilities; someone age 65 or older; anyone, including children, in need of Long-term Care Services (nursing facility or community based care); and/or someone who is medically needy (has income greater than the Medicaid limit who would like to be evaluated based on income, resources and medical expenses).
- Appendix E: Help Paying Costs: If you have applied for Health Care Coverage for someone who is medically needy (has income greater than the Medicaid limit who would like to be evaluated based on income, resources and medical expenses), you will also need to complete Appendix E.
Information Required to Apply
When you ready to apply, make sure you have the following information available to you:
- Full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, citizenship or immigration status for you and anyone in your household who is applying for coverage
- Most recent federal tax filing information
- Job and income information for members of your household from the current or previous month (such as recent pay stubs or W-2s)
- Information about unemployment benefits, Social Security benefits, pensions, retirement income, rental income, alimony received or other taxable income
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance